50th Reunion Stories

29
Aug

Allan Keen ’70 ’71MBA ’10H

I was a day student at Rollins 1966-70, in the 3/2 Crummer program, and received my BA in Economics in 1970 (my 50th Reunion this year!), and my MBA in 1971. I was local, graduating from Colonial High School in Orlando.

Although as a day student I did not have the full Rollins experience of living on campus, and I worked most of my years to afford the opportunity, I owe most of my success in my business life, and ability now to give back, to my Rollins education.

I was amazingly fortunate that as a freshman, by luck (or fate) to have been assigned the Dean of the Crummer Business School (Charles Welsh) as my freshman advisor. A role he played for my entire 5-year career at Rollins. It was because of this that I was “headed to Crummer”, and the rest is history. My life was changed, and my ability to succeed was dramatically improved. And having never left Winter Park after graduation, this experience became the cornerstone of my business career, and for that I am forever grateful.

I have been able to give back, now serving my 31st year as a Trustee of the College, and that experience also has been excellent. There is so much good going on at Rollins, our student successes abound, President Cornwell is an incredible leader, and the Rollins we knew in those late 60s years, has never been better or in better hands. We can and should be proud of our Rollins degree, for those who followed us have been great stewards and have made physical, curricular and student engagement improvements that should make us proud.

And now my daughter Kristen and her new husband Dave, are enrolled in the PMBA program at Crummer. Yeah!

For all these reasons, I feel our 50th Reunion of the Class of 1970 will be an amazing time for all of us. GO TARS.

Allan E. Keen ’70 ’71MBA ’10H