Bronwyn Bayne: My Summer at Rollins Museum of Art 

By on August 12th, 2024 in The Alfond Collection of Contemporary Art at Rollins Museum of Art, Working at Rollins Museum of Art

Bronwyn Bayne describes her Summer Internship at Rollins Museum of Art

Bronwyn poses with Upside Down by Jeffrey Gibson at The Alfond Inn.

Looking back on my summer as an Education Intern at the Rollins Museum of Art (RMA), I cannot believe how quickly the time has passed. Over these past few months, under the supervision and mentorship of Associate Curator of Education David Matteson, I have gained tremendous hands-on experience in roles that have provided me with a deeper understanding of museum work and a greater love for the professional art world.  

Finding An Internship 

Before beginning my internship at RMA, I was unsure of what jobs I could pursue with my undergraduate degree in Art History. My dual interests in archival research and education had me unable to decide between pursuing a career in academia or museum work. When my academic advisor encouraged me to apply for a summer internship at RMA to gain professional experience working in the arts, I reached out for an interview with David Matteson. Upon being interviewed, I realized that I had very little knowledge of the many required roles found in each museum department, and when asked where I saw myself working, I responded that I would work anywhere that would utilize my passion for research and writing. 

My First Day 

On my first day of work, I was instructed to create a list of goals of what I wished to accomplish during my internship. This list included my desire to become proficient in RMA’s museum collection through conducting archival research, to learn about museum programming and the strategies for engaging with museum visitors in an educational context, to build a professional network with museum staff at RMA, and to gain a greater understanding of the roles and responsibilities required for a museum career. During my internship, each of these goals were met in a way that exceeded my expectations.  

Working at a Teaching Museum 

Adventure Begins with Bookmaking at the library

Since RMA stands as a university art museum and a community teaching museum, I experienced its unique approach to integrating art education into the daily lives of students and community members. Throughout the summer, I was lucky enough to experience a variety of its ongoing programs, such as the Teaching Institute professional development program for art teachers, and an assortment of summer camp tours. For a few weekends, I represented RMA at bookmaking workshops for local libraries and worked at Winter Park Library’s Maker Day, a fair designed to open people’s worlds up to engineering, the arts, and science.  

Teacher Institute at Rollins Museum of Art

Along with experiencing various community programs, much of my internship was spent conducting professional research for RMA’s exhibition catalogs and archives. I completed , designed interpretive materials for children and families, crafted Docent Tour Strategies for newly acquired artwork, created educational PowerPoints on several exhibitions, and wrote wall labels for artwork from the collections of both the Rollins Museum of Art Teaching Portfolios and the Alfond Collection of Contemporary Art. A few days of my internship were also spent at the Orange County Regional History Center, transcribing archived audio recordings of interviews that will be used in RMA’s upcoming exhibition Nostalgia for My Island.  

Creating Audio Guides 

Bronwyn poses with the sign for an Audio Guide she created at The Alfond Inn.

One of my favorite tasks during my internship was the writing and recording of audio guides for artwork that will be displayed in both RMA and The Alfond Inn. Initially, when my supervisor asked me to complete these guides, I was very nervous about the thought of museum visitors relying on my voice to carry them through the displayed art. However, this ended up being one of my most memorable jobs at RMA, and I loved every minute of it. Working in a recording studio at WPRK, creating audio guides for the artwork of artists such as George Harding and Jeffery Gibson, allowed me to combine my love of art with the craft of sound production, a technical skill I never expected to learn.  

A Wonderful Summer at Rollins Museum of Art 

As my internship ends and I reflect on my time at RMA, I feel incredibly grateful to have spent the last few months working at this museum. I am so lucky to have been able to work alongside RMA’s wonderful staff, all of whom were more than happy to sit down with me and impart their advice to those new to the professional art world. I came into this internship very unsure of my career path and can confidently say that the tremendous experience I have gained working at the Rollins Museum of Art, and the remarkable professionals I have had the pleasure of working under, have only strengthened my love of the arts and art history.  

With more than 150 works on view, The Alfond Inn is the only hotel in the United States serving as an extension of a museum. Take an audio highlights tour anytime, or join Rollins Museum of Art for our free Happy Hour Tours. Registration is required.

Enjoy FREE ADMISSION to Rollins Museum of Art Tuesday through Sunday! Visit our website for hours of operation, exhibitions, upcoming events, and to view works from the collection.

Front view of the Rollins Museum of Art brown buiilding